Early morning lockdown drill scheduled for Thursday morning

Mark Reiter, Online Editor

North will host the first early morning lockdown drill on Thursday, April 7 in conjunction with the Plainfield Police Department to prepare students and staff for potential threats.

This is the first drill of its kind for the Plainfield Police and North, helping students and staff prepare for emergency. This drill could cause some arrival issues for parents and students arriving to school after the drill starts at 6:45 am.

“ [The drill] is a collaboration with the Plainfield Police Department as a way to prepare students for any danger that could happen,” said Julie Adelmann, Dean. “We are always constantly working with them to think outside the box and find new ways to prepare.”

It is recommended for students who arrive before 6:45 and are not able to make it into the building to report to one of the school “safe areas” and stay there until the school is off lockdown.

“We recommend that students do actually move to the safe zones if they are outside of the school,” said Adelmann. “If it was a real threat and students were not in the school, students would not be safe in their cars, but safer in the specific zones.”

Students can find the safe zones on the corner of 119th and 248th, at the 119th entrance by the teacher’s lot, and near the back of the junior lot by the large barn.

It is noted that the drill could last up to 15 minutes ending at 7 am. If this does happen students are expected to arrive to school as safe and as soon as possible. Students will most likely be given extra time, but the amount of time will be assessed after the drill.

“Students can expect a little extra time in the morning, but if students try and abuse the extra time we will still hand out plascos,” said Adelmann.