North achieves highest ACT scores in district, scores going up as a whole

Mikayla Clark, Staff Writer

Plainfield North High School, as of the graduating 2015 class, has the highest ACT scores in the district— 22.5 compared to the 22.2 held last year.

“Our teachers and staff are committed to helping all of our students do their very best on the ACT, which is a very important measure of their academic growth,” said Dr. Dan McDonnell, director for high school curriculum and instruction in a press release.

The composite score for the graduating class of 2015 for the whole district was 20.8. These scores show the accomplishments of students throughout the year. Plainfield Central had a composite of 19.6, Plainfield South had 20.3, and Plainfield East had 20.6. All scores were up at least .2 from the previous year.

Although we look forward to doing better each year, we are very proud of this year’s score,” said McDonnell.

Tom Hernandez, the Director of Public Relations for District 202, said that a “benchmark score” is the minimum score on an ACT test that will show a 50 percent chance of earning at least a B.

The amount of students that met benchmark minimum scores in all four subject areas for the test was 25 percent. The percentage of “college ready” students was 26 percent. Students are allowed to take the test privately as sophomores, juniors, and seniors.

Ray Epperson, Principal of Plainfield North High School, said that he aims not to compare North’s ACT scores to other schools in the district, but to northern and eastern schools in the nation.