North’s new soccer coach answers questions about the team

Jack Elkins, Staff Writer

North’s Varsity soccer squad is lead this year by head coach Steven Berry. He has prior coaching experience and is hoping to contribute great things and have a good season as the boy’s golf coach.

Q: As the new Head Coach what can you do for the team that is different? What are you bringing to the table?

A: Taking over as the new Head Boys Soccer Coach at PNHS will be an exciting task. We have put together a very good coaching staff to help challenge the players at all levels in all four phases of the game. It is our goal to educate the players with the insight of the game as well as the tactics of the game. We will challenge and prepare all levels to be able to play multiple styles and adapt to the situation as they are presented each game.

Q: Being a coach for some of the players prior to coaching here, do you believe that will have a positive effect on the players?

A: Identifying with players as they grow through their youth development will always be a plus. Also knowing the past coach and picking his brain about the returning players will also be very beneficial as the season presents itself.

Q: Who are the captains this year, and why does it suit them to be a captain?

A: The varsity will be having three senior captains, Austin Collier, Austin Hansen and Alex Lynch. They have emerged as our leaders on and off the field since I took over in late May through their commitment all summer and as the preseason has begun. These three seniors, as well as all returning players will be asked to lead by example and promote soccer in their community as they represent PNHS Boys’ Soccer.

Q:  What kind of strategy do you use when picking out who plays where?

A: As a soccer coach for 25 plus years, I have learned to adapt to the players’ individual tendencies in putting together a lineup and system of play. As a group, we will look to play a total soccer game with understanding when to possess and when to penetrate the goal. When we lose possession, we will look to get the ball back as quick as we can and start organizing ourselves with a team-minded defensive mentality.

Q:    What are the goals for you this season with the team? 

A: As any team sets out in a new season, our ultimate goal will be to be playing soccer into November. To do that, we will continue to work and grow as an individual, as groups of players (i.e. lines of play, such as defenders, midfielders and forwards) and as an entire team. We will attempt to win every game by playing the correct brand of soccer, we look to be conference champions, we look to win the Lemont Tournament, we look to win a Regional and then go as far as we can by peaking with our best soccer in late October-early November.

Q:    From talking to some of the players it seems like there are a lot of players on the team with speed and great skill up front; what do you think this means for the team?

A: On the roster for 2015, we have players with very nice pure speed, very nice, technical speed, and very nice, tactical thought, which means we will look to play fast and therefore will be tough for opponents to always dictate the style or pace of the game.

Q:    Are there any secret weapons on the team this year? (Many players said Patrick Elster,  Freshman, was the weapon).

A: We will have a very deep roster and will be lucky to count on players from our Senior Class, our Junior Class and even our Sophomore and Freshman Class. As a group, any player on any given day can step up and be a dangerous player no matter what position they are playing on the field and therefore will make it hard on our opponents to prepare for us.