Schools, society grow more accepting of trans teens

Hannah Aldawud, Staff Writer

In recent years, a growing number of high school teenagers have been dressing to express their gender identity and sexual orientation. The way school districts and teachers react ranges from applauding the student for being brave enough to go against the norm, to putting a ban on crossdressing.

“In my experience at North, I’ve seen both sides of the spectrum. The people that I’m friends with are all accepting of transgender students, as a large portion of them are members of the LGBT community themselves. However, there is also a large community at North of intolerant bigots,” said Junior and LGBT+ activist Briana Golden.

Dress code conflicts often reflect a generational divide, with students of a new accepting culture vs the adults who are mostly confused by the new counter culture. This generation has drastically changed gender identity customs to a more positive and supportive majority, rather than bullying or violence that being trans might bring out in some people.

Plainfield North does in fact allow cross dressing and transgenders.

“In regard to transgenders and cross dressing, those are allowed,” said principal, Raymond Epperson. “We would not allow crossdressing just to be ‘goofy’.”

Although this generation’s youth is on board for aiding the creativity and exploration of gender identity each school is required to hold records of each student, which includes the legal name of the student as well as the student’s biological gender. Schools are required to use a student’s legal name and gender on standardized tests and reports to the State Education Department.

Schools are not legally required to use a student’s legal name or gender on school records other than the standardized tests and reports.

“Many trans students may be bullied for their gender identity and choice of locker room. All students deserve to feel safe in school, so I believe that Plainfield schools should implement a gender neutral option for both bathrooms and locker rooms,” said Golden.

The same goes for restroom and locker use, a transgender student should not be required to use one of those facilities that may cause conflict with the student’s gender identity. If a student believes they need more privacy then given to them they should be provided with a more secluded area to change or use the restroom like a single stall room.

“I think that all schools should have gender neutral or unisex bathrooms and locker rooms. A big struggle of transgender and non-binary people in school is finding a place where they feel safe, and bathrooms can be both confusing and humiliating for Tran’s teens,” said Golden

If any activities  at school or during gym separate by gender,  the transgender should go to whatever side they identify with. Students also have the right to dress giving their gender identity within the schools guidelines of dress code with that gender.

“We have been asked why we do not allow a crossdressing day during homecoming week

If teachers or staff see a student struggling with gender identity or an issue arousing from the transformation rather if it is harassment or insecurities the teacher and school board should make an effort to help out the student and support them in any way they can.

For the best interest of the transgender students school boards should make resources available for parents who are not fully educated about what their child is going through, and schools are permitted to educate the students about gender diversity and acceptance. School districts are especially cautious for any type of bullying or harassment issues ranging from cyber bullying to physical in school contact that may accrue from transgender students

“I’ve interacted with both views in drastic measures, and though the transphobic cretins have a very loud and overwhelming presence both in school and on social media, I believe that the majority of students are accepting of transgender peers, though many may not be excessively vocal about it,” said Golden.