Learning Secondary Languages

Nicole Posont, Staff Reporter

Looking to be able to read a french menu? Going to Canun over the summer and want to sound like a local? Maybe it’s time to pick up the flash cards and set off on the journey of learning a new language. 

Learning a second language is a goal of many individuals. Starting and sticking to it, however, is harder than it might seem. 

Approaching a new language can be very daunting, so where is the best place to start when there is so much to learn? 

“The most important thing to consider is which language is the person most interested in studying,” World Language Division Chair Rachel Hidalgo said. “Many times students choose a language based on what they feel would be easiest or even based on which language their friends are interested in studying.”

Starting sooner in life is shown to be beneficial for those interested in picking up a second language due to a variety of factors. The older humans get, the harder it becomes to learn a language.

According to tessais.org, “Because of the brain’s elasticity and rapid neural formation, babies and young children are able to learn languages at a faster rate. This is sometimes referred to as the ‘critical period’.”

Every language has its fundamentals, whether it is learning a new alphabet or conjugations. While some mistakes, such as using the wrong verb tense, may differ depending on language, any newcomer can set themselves up for success by avoiding general beginners’ mistakes, such as bad mindset and choosing Google Translate.  

“Beginners should avoid being too critical of themselves,” Hidalgo said. “It’s ok to make mistakes as long as you are trying. It’s much like learning your first language as a child. You will make mistakes and that’s ok. Also, avoid using online translators.”

What works best for retaining information will depend on the individual, but there is an abundance of helpful techniques to try.

“Having to come up with sentences to say to a partner that includes a new grammar topic really helped me understand how the topic worked by forcing me to use it and sort of figure it out on my own,” junior Hudson Hiatt said. 

Early frustration and losing the motivation to continue is common among language learners, but a change in mindset could be the difference between seeing learning as a chore or a hobby.

According to Fluentu.com, “For language learning to be fun, you have to be an active participant, not a passive observer of the proceedings.”

Finding groups in the community or online is another helpful way to find study partners. Whether it is in a language class or on an online forum, having friends to help answer questions can come in handy when something isn’t clicking. 

According to Preply.com, “In these communities, language learners can practice, share resources, get experience with language use and develop together.”

Another aspect of learning a language is learning about another culture. As a person learns more of any language, they are bound to understand that country’s way of life. 

“Learning the culture of a foreign language is critical to learning the language,” Hidalgo said. “It’s important to understand the history, music, food, people, and customs in order to truly embrace learning a different language.”

Learning a language can connect people from around the globe. This opens opportunities for a new world of experiences. 

“I worked abroad for years,” former BGF Industries executive assistant Sheri Bergen said. “I loved it.  I spoke French every day at my job. I performed administrative duties, but also translated tours of the manufacturing facilities and assisted the French employees who visited us.”

People choose to embark on the path to learn another language for a variety of reasons such as to connect with their roots, because they are interested in a certain culture or because it’s just a hobby.

“I decided to take German [in high school] to learn more about the culture,” junior Mary Conely said.