Boys track sprints to success

Sophomore Keith Cyracus launches off the board during the long jump event at the First to the Finish invite. Photo courtesy of Tony Holler

Alexandra Eydenberg, Online Editor

North’s boys track team is off to a strong start to the 2022-2023 season during meets at both University of Illinois and North Central College.

Kicking off his season, junior Owen Stahl had impressive 4×800 split times. Taking a 2:02 at the First to the Finish: Boys Charger Invite on March 4  and an unofficial 1:58 at Downers Grove South Mustang Relays held on March 6, Stahl has hit an all-time career PR. 

“I am most motivated by my teammates and trying to run my best for them,” Stahl said. “I am also motivated by my coach who gives me the best training to run my best during my races.”

With the help of Stahl and other teammates, the boys 4×800 meter relay hit a season best of 8:08.16 at the Mustang Relays against some of the top competition in the state. 

Blazing around the track, freshman Aiden Connors set a new record in the 1600, beating out the previous record set in 2015. Running a 4:49.5, Connors took 2nd overall in the Boys Charger Invite at University of Illinois. 

“Aiden has impressed us all with his incredible times, and our team can’t wait to see how far he goes as a distance runner,” junior mid-distance runner Trey Wilson said.

North’s dynamic 4×400 relay is also back in top form. Currently ranked 5th in the state, juniors Kwame Amoo-Otoo, Zander Pauly and Easton Miller as well as senior Demir Ashiru split a 53.5, 53.2, 52 and 54.9 respectively. 

Miller didn’t stop there. In the 400 dash, he ran a 52 flat, beating out both his personal and school record. In the 800 m race, Miller is currently ranked among the top ten indoor boys racers  in Illinois. 

“Easton’s recent success is mainly credited to the hard work he’s put in from the past season to current,” Amoo-Otoo said, “Our cross country team has come off a great season placing top 4 in the state and that momentum has carried forward onto the track.”

North’s talents reach beyond the track into their star pole vaulter Ray Vanichtheeranont. Competing as the only male pole vaulter for North, Vanichtheeranont jumped 12 feet at the Charger Invite toppling his personal 2022 record of 7 ‘5. 

As a team, the boys have big plans for the 2023 season and are working towards their ultimate objective.  

“Our goal is to take as many people as we can to state,” Wilson said. 

In order to achieve this, structure, routine and commitment are necessary.  

Improvement will come through consistently achieving small gains and never burning the steak,” coach Tony Holler said. “Our program embraces a disciplined pursuit based on a foundation of rest, recovery and sleep.” 

North continues to strike fear in their competitors. Their team culture and motivation pushes them to run their best in each event. 

“There are teams out there that their goal is to beat Plainfield North athletics, but we’re always up for the challenge,” hurdles coach John Singleton said.