Predators slap Naperville North

Sophia Woods, Feature Editor

The four-school Plainfield Predators won 7-2 over the Naperville North Huskies on Oct. 2. 

Two minutes and 32 seconds into the game South junior Mateo Campasano, with an assist by Central sophomore Owen Pesznski, gave the Predators a 1-0 lead.

“It felt great to put my team on the scoreboard that early.” Campansano said. “The boys were buzzing after the goal.”

The Huskies were able to counter the shot, tying the game up fast with eight  minutes and 46 seconds left in the period.

The first period ended strong with a 2-1 lead after a second shot by North senior Alex Barlog with an assist by North senior Justin Dy..

“The atmosphere was electric,” Dy said. “It was a great way to start off the season strong.”

Going into the second, the score progressed quickly with Barlog making his second shot of the game barely two minutes into the period with an assist from Dy and three penalties from the opposing team. 

“It felt good to see the puck hit the net,” Barlog said. “Me and Justin really work well together. Our playing styles compliment each other.”

While the Huskies were able to score during a power play, North came back with their own power play shot with a short handed unassisted shot by North sophomore Christian Rybka ending the second period with a strong lead of 5-2.

“Any time I got on the ice I stayed locked in and worked hard to keep the defense strong,” Rybka said.

The third period was a battle of defense. With not many goals for the majority of the period, North senior Josh Adzia was able to bury a goal followed by East senior Joshua Rivadeneria scoring with only a minute and 49 seconds left ending the game.

“I had multiple chances during the game, but I couldn’t put the puck in the back of the net,” Rivadeneria said. “When I finally scored at the end of the game, it felt really relieving.”

The  Predators blocked  18 out of the 20 opponent shots while the Huskies only blocked  18 out of 25 during the game.

“I always work hard and keep myself in the mentality that every game is my last,” East senior goalie Geremia Balice said. 

With new coach Jeff Schmidt coming in only halfway through last season, the team and coach had to adapt  to working together.

“I don’t believe I adapted as fast as I could have, but I say that in hindsight,” Schmidt said. “What did help me adapt though was a strong leadership group led by our captain this year and last, Alex Barlog.”

North sophomore wing CJ Rybka scans the defense during the Predators’ win over the Huskies. (Ted Piton)