Eight Periods Allow for Personal Growth

Cartoon by Paige Collins

Nicole Posont, Editor-In-Chief

Increasing a student’s schedule from seven to eight periods would be beneficial. 

The extra period would give students the opportunity to take an elective class that can help with self discovery and decrease stress while also helping students find a career path. With the current schedule, many students find it difficult to work in electives without making sacrifices. 

For the average student, their seven period schedule contains math, English, science, history, a language, gym and lunch/study hall. Most of these classes are required for at least three years, but taking four years is highly recommended for college-bound students. Keeping  these classes on their roster while taking an elective affords  minimal options.  

Some students opt for early bird gym starting every day at 6:05 a.m. This not only is detrimental to the sleep schedule and health of students, but the class itself does not benefit those who are P.E. exempt. 

Others may choose to take summer school classes taught Monday through Thursday through the summer break. Teenagers who are not struggling academically end up sitting behind a desk taking notes instead of working and trying to earn money for college.  

Electives are the break in a rigorous schedule or a path to finding one’s passion and can easily become the highlight of the day. CollegeBoard claims that, “The electives you choose tell colleges something about you.” 

Students can find an interest for art through their ceramics class or fall in love with playing the clarinet in band. In fact, without these classes, we wouldn’t have many of the world’s most beloved beloved artists. Lizzo started her music career by playing the flute in her schools’ band class and  Usher sang in his local choir. Giving students the space to explore different worlds may lead them toward their dream career. 

While not every theater kid may be destined to be the worlds’ next Lin Manuel-Miranda, taking a class that allows students to explore their creativity as opposed to studying for a test is a way for many to decompress. Mental health issues are on the rise, especially in younger generations. Attending a class that keeps the mind engaged while also allowing students to take a deep breath and express themselves would demonstrate work/life balance and expose many teenagers to healthy coping mechanisms. 

It also provides a space for students to grow as individuals. According to Edutopia.org “through the arts, students develop skills like resilience, grit, and a growth mindset to help them master their craft, do well academically, and succeed in life after high school.” 

Other classes, such as business or computer programming, not only add variety to a student’s schedule, but also are practical for getting a view into different career paths. Those who are interested in coding or are looking to study business can take these electives, dipping their toe in the water before jumping into a larger college commitment. They also teach helpful skills to students at a young age that could stick with them and prove helpful in future jobs. 

While there are options provided to make space in the seven period schedule, they are inconvenient for students. An eight period schedule would be beneficial for attitude, health and growth for the student body. 

Changes would need to be made, such as shortening the class periods slightly and the cost of the switch. However, the district has succeeded with class periods just over 30 minutes during remote learning, and the wellbeing of students shouldn’t suffer due to these changes.