Rambling on to Loyola

Photo courtesy of Kendall M. Covek

Senior Nick Pallotto looks off into the distance as he is thinking about his next story idea.

Nick Pallotto, News Editor

In high school, I have found out a lot about myself. When I first walked through the doors, I didn’t have any idea of what kind of person I would be when my high school career was over, I didn’t have any idea of what people I would become acquainted with and I didn’t have any idea of what I really felt passionate about. 

An area of study that both fascinated me and frustrated me was math. I enjoyed the classes and completed everything on time, but the only thing that was trying to hold me back from success was the tests because of my math-related learning disability called dyscalculia. I studied hard and was able to get through it but not without learning a little bit about myself along the way. 

My struggles in math are something I’ve learned to love and hate because although it has caused me endless heartache, it has also astonishingly propelled me to the written word. Despite my math issues, I found that I have a love of writing. There is simply nothing more satisfying to me than a well-written story or an intelligent op-ed. I decided I wanted to put my passion to work, so I started my own blog, and I joined the school newspaper.

Journalism to me was like a whole new world waiting to be discovered. My interest and passion for how the news is reported and put on paper motivated me to want to study it in college and eventually become a foreign correspondent for the New York Times or the Guardian. Traveling the world is a dream of mine but  also making sure that those who feel that they don’t have a voice can be heard. 

I wouldn’t say that in high school I just discovered my interests. Instead, in high school I learned a lot about who I am as a person, and I learned to face challenges instead of running away from them. I used to hate that I couldn’t do things as easily as other students, but I’ve learned to embrace it. My disability has made me look at the world from a new perspective and to never be afraid to work a little harder. 

When I applied and was accepted into Loyola University of Chicago where I hope to study multimedia journalism,  it was a sign to me that I could accomplish anything I set my mind to. Though it is an excellent achievement, I remind myself that this is only the beginning, and the only way I can go is up. 

What I have come to find is that my disability  has made me stand out amongst my fellow classmates in terms of my work ethic, and I am forever grateful that my top college has recognized that at a young age I have been faced with these challenges and I’ve spent my life up to this point trying to overcome them. 

I am not certain where the journalism profession will take me because I know that it is an industry of different obstacles and challenges, and a good reporter and writer must know his way around it. I feel that I am ready to face the many challenges of the media industry, and I can’t wait to see what I can accomplish.