District 202 to offer free summer school, enrichment classes

Plainfield – District 202 will offer a long list of traditional and new summer school and enrichment programs free of charge to current 2021 District 202 students.

District 202 plans to use some of its share of federal COVID-19 relief funds to enhance student preparation for next school year and beyond.

The district expects to get about $21.7 million over the next two years through the Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSERS) grant. The money can only be used on COVID-related expenses. All Illinois school districts will be receiving ESSERS grant monies based on student enrollment.

At least 20 percent, or about $4.4 million, must be used on academic programming. All funds must be used by 2023.

Transportation will be provided for qualifying students.

Some middle and elementary school programs will be offered by invitation only to students identified as needing extra support. The final list of courses will depend on actual funding received and any related stipulations, enrollment, and staffing.

For example, this summer, the district plans to offer:

· traditional high school summer school

· K-12 extended school year (ESY)

· a new K-5 math and reading program for students identified as not meeting essential standards and significantly behind grade level

· an Elementary Bilingual Program to help students enhance and maintain literacy and math skills

· a new middle school Bridge Program focusing on transitions from elementary to middle school, academic foundations for English Language Arts and math, social-emotional growth, leadership and extracurricular involvement

· a new middle school Student Success Program for identified and invited students who need to learn in person to achieve academic success; and for 5th graders who are accelerated in math

· enrichment classes (including but not limited to, dual credit at high school level)

· summer vocabulary programming for English as a Second Language and bilingual students.

All Summer school programming will be free for all families except for the high school dual credit program, which is offered in conjunction with Joliet Junior College, and drivers education behind-the-wheel classes.