Scoring record shattered for North’s girl’s basketball team

Photo courtesy of Lynn Milton

Senior guard Beatrice Atienza escapes a defender in a game against Plainfield East.

Gianna Feminis, Co-Editor in Chief and Sports Editor

Contributions from the entire lineup helped North’s varsity girls’ basketball team make history.

The Lady Tigers broke the previous scoring record on Mar. 2 at Romeoville with an 85-51 win. The original record was set at 80.

“Our mindset was we not only are going to beat the record but go further than that and make it higher,” sophomore guard Erin Henry said. 

Senior guard Lexi Hernandez rebounded a shot and passed the ball to senior fellow guard Payton Bishop who scored the 82nd point earning the new record. 

“We had chances last year and didn’t do it, but with the players we have this year, we knew we could do it, so we executed and we broke it,” Bishop said.

Going into the game, the Tigers were feeling confident as they were on a seven game win streak and undefeated. Breaking the scoring record was an unrealized goal last year, so they were determined this season to accomplish it. 

When they realized the scoring record was within reach, according to Henry, the team wanted “to have energy on and off the bench, keep our composure and just play together and finish the game no matter what.” 

This new school record is a part of the improvement made this year while only playing 13 games instead of a typical 30 game season. They beat teams they had not beaten in the past such as Oswego and Yorkville, as well as lost only three games in the regular season. 

“I think the biggest change from last year to this year was the willingness and the appreciation to play hard in every game,” girl’s varsity basketball coach Michaela Reedy said. “I could see the commitment in every practice and game the whole season and that is hard to achieve in a normal basketball season because of how long it is.”

After having lost four key seniors, the team relied heavily on young sophomore talent who were key contributors to the Tigers’ success this season. Seniors Bishop, Hernandez, Beatrice Atienza (guard) and Sadie Guy (guard) were the team’s captains.

“The energy from the bench transferred to the players on the floor,” junior center Jayln Patterson said. “All around this season was a team effort.”

In addition to having a young team, head coach Michaela Reedy is only in her second season. 

“I think it’s great to have a coach that has played the game not that long ago,” Bishop said. “Since the game is always evolving, it’s beneficial to have a coach who can help their players play the way they know since they are so young.”

The team faced some obstacles this season due to the covid protocols. Only parents could attend home games, and athletes were required to play with a face mask at all times. 

“In the beginning, when masks became in-use, it was hard for us to breathe normally between the drills and the fabric,” Patterson said. “I went through different types of masks before I found the one that could work.”

Despite the masks and protocols, the Tigers still prevailed and accomplished the new scoring record.

“We have grown so much as a group through the past year,” Reedy said. “I have girls willing and wanting to put in the work to be their best, which is awesome to see.”