Not afraid to try something new

Valerie Loeblich, Staff Writer

Doctor. Fireman. Police officer. Most people have fond memories of dressing up during childhood as something they aspired to be. Not many individuals actually follow through. Social studies teacher Ryan Paymaster once dressed up as an NFL coach but never dreamed he would end up coaching, let alone for girl’s cross country and track and field.

Last year, English teacher, current cross country head coach Tammy Gummerson hunted for an assistant cross country coach, a job nobody seemed to want. Paymaster offered to take the position without any experience.

When the cross country opening became available last year, Mr. Paymaster seemed like a great fit,” Gummerson said. “We had been friends for years, and we have similar beliefs in regards to students.”

Early on, Paymaster was filled with nerves. Being in charge of skilled athletes with years of experience intimidated him.

“I was terrified of it,” Paymaster said. “I’m going to be honest, I don’t think I’ve ever walked into a scenario I was more scared of…I will never forget the feeling of just being nervous knowing that I have to lead them and that I have no idea what I’m doing.”

Despite his lack of athletic knowledge of track or cross country as well as his nerves, Paymaster was “great at administering the workouts with his group and genuinely enjoys the sport,”Gummerson said.

Paymaster prides himself in what he has accomplished as a coach and believes it is “the best thing [he’s] done at North.” He is proudest of seeing the girls he has coached learn and succeed. From training them to have good form to bringing out a smile from a runner mid-race, Paymaster strives to be a positive figure on the team and to  get the girls to “feel like they can be number one.”

“[He] knows how to push you to be the best athlete you could possibly be physically and mentally,” senior long-distance runner Alexia Reyes said. “ During my races he would always try to make me laugh and feel relaxed, so I run with my hands in fists and he kept calling me Rocky and to go get those Russians which made me laugh and keep going, even though I wanted to stop. He knows how to make you feel better before a race and after.”

Gummerson agrees with Reyes. “He is a constant sense of comedy when he is around,” and that he always “livens the girls up [and] brings out the best in [them],” Gummerson said.

Paymaster continues to strive to be a positive figure on the team. Being their cheerleader is his favorite part of coaching. He loves “getting them to feel good about what they do.”

“I’ve really learned the power of a positive image, positivity, telling people they can instead of can’t,” Paymaster said.

Through his experiences coaching, he has learned to deal with different teaching methods, level differences, time management and to improve his patience. Track and cross country have introduced these skills to Paymaster, which have translated into the classroom.

“I would not be the teacher I am today without coaching three years ago,” Paymaster said.