Why Spring Sports Should Not Continue

Gianna Feminis, Staff Writer

The coronavirus pandemic leaves no option but to cancel the spring sports season.
As much as we all look forward to sports such as baseball and softball, athletics cannot be a teenager’s focus right now. Actually finishing the school year is most important and has already been quite the challenge to figure out. The tricky transition into “remote learning” impacts everyone involved. From teacher’s plans to students keeping up, academics needs to be prioritized at a time like this.
“Remote learning” will continue for the rest of the school year, and at this point, just finishing the academic year is the top priority for high schools. There is no timeline as to when the world will be back to normal, especially since the “stay at home” order has been extended until late May, so it makes more sense to just cancel the season instead of living in uncertainty.
If spring sports were to return, it could be challenging to find playing space. It could be difficult to find gyms, courts or fields especially since many establishments are closed. With the government mandating no group gathering of more than ten students, that could also play a big factor. If it were to return to normalcy anytime soon, many teams of various sports would be trying to get their season back on track, which could make scheduling playing space a nightmare.
In addition to trying to schedule playing space, but scheduling opponents could be tough as well. Not every district may have the same plan as far as how to handle the spring sports season, and transportation and officiating may be limited, if any at all. Getting rid of the spring season in general would eliminate all confusion.
Even if the spring sports season would return, there is a good chance that the season would be shortened. A shortened season could impact important events such as playoffs and state championships.
Conference and sectional matches could be canceled depending on how short the season gets cut. Without conference or sectionals, the state championships for all sports could be at risk.
Not only that, but the spring season would most likely start back up after the school year is over. This could be a problem because senior athletes are no longer considered students at North.
The spring sports season could potentially be out of the school and district’s hands. It was a governmental decision to start doing schoolwork from home, and it could be a governmental decision to end the spring sports season.
With guidelines such as staying six feet apart and not gathering in large groups, sporting events can be a potential threat to public health. Thirty-nine states have closed schools for the rest of the year, including Illinois.
There are too many risks and complications that would come with still trying to have a spring sports season. The best and safest option for everyone would be to just cancel the season entirely.