Ireland Shelton- Senior Column

Ireland Shelton, Co-Editor-In-Chief

Senior year has been a rollercoaster of emotions. Everything is bittersweet. Last football game, last first day of school, last set of finals, last competition, last homecoming, last prom, last day of high school, last summer vacation; everything is the last time.

Right now, all spring sports have been postponed and are at risk of being cancelled completely. Seniors’ last game, their senior night, their last season, their last time playing a sport they’ve been playing since they were young. Some played their last game, and they didn’t even know it.

Our senior brunch, awards night, and every other senior event is at risk. We have no idea what we will be able to do.

Our senior prom and last high school dance could get cancelled. Most girls have a dress already. The whole prom experience of getting ready, getting asked, the dance, the pictures, the limos and the last time the class gets to be together and celebrate. That could all be gone too.

We lost the last two months of being with our friends before we all go our separate ways. Our last day of high school was March 16, and no one even knew. We won’t get to meet in the auditorium on May 1 and show off where we’re going to school.

We also don’t know if we’ll even get to walk across the stage and receive our diplomas. We’ve worked for 12 years to get that diploma and to graduate, and we could never get to. Everything is up in the air.

It is kind of heartbreaking. No one really knows what is going to happen. We could be missing things we have talked about and dreamt of since we were kids.

But, we did get to experience some amazing things while at North, and during a time like this, we have to focus on all the good that came from our time in high school. I met two of my best friends who I am so lucky to have and gotten so close with. We’ve made so many memories, and I can’t wait to make more over the summer.

I got to dance on a football field under Friday night lights, win a Conference title and qualify for State because of being on the school dance team. And even better, I met five girls who I have spent almost every day with since freshman year and who have become my best friends.
I met a cute guy who made me laugh in middle school and then started dating when we got to high school. Now, we’ve been together for almost four years.

I’ve learned so much about myself throughout these past four years and grown up a lot too. I’ve learned what hard work and dedication can do. I’ve learned that what’s meant to be will always find a way, and if it doesn’t happen, it’s not meant to be. I’ve learned you can’t always make everyone happy. I’ve learned that you can’t let what one person says control how you feel. I’ve learned that you have to do what makes you happy and forget about the rest.

So, goodbye Plainfield North. I didn’t get to fully finish my senior year with you, but I am forever grateful for everything. Thank you for the memories, the laughter, the stress, the game days, the tears, the homework, the drama, the dances. Thank you for allowing me to figure out what my passions were and preparing me for my future at Mizzou. Thank you for giving me my best friends. Thank you for all of it. I couldn’t have asked for a better high school. Go tigers forever and always.