Taps -N- Tenders Worth Trying

Brianna Woltz, Staff Writer

Does Buffalo Wild Wings taste bland now? Tired of never being able to taste he infamous Popeye’s chicken sandwich? Then Taps N Tenders is an absolute must try for those who love chicken because their fresh tenders are simply unmatched.

The exterior of the building is a modern steel grey color and has a drive thru. Fun fact, the location used to be a bank which is why their drive thru is so huge. The front doors open and the whole restaurant is on display. What’s nice is there is no waiting for a host. Patrons are encouraged to sit wherever they wish.

Being a sports bar, there are televisions along the walls, but there is also Chive TV on some of the screens as well to entertain guests with funny home video fails.

Booths, tables, and high tables are available, along with the bar for legal patrons.

Phone battery dying? No worries. Sit at a booth, plug a charger into the wall and let it charge while waiting for the food to come out. Most of the music played inside is the classic pop heard on the radio with some throwbacks. The music is quite loud though, so speaking above a normal volume will most likely be how conversations play out.

If a size medium order of wings at Buffalo Wild Wings isn’t enough food, then Taps N Tenders may be slighting disappointing with its portion size. Though small, the tenders are unparalleled by being fresh and savory since they are marinated in buttermilk overnight and are hand breaded for each order.

Their list of sauces has something for everyone. Barbecue for classic lovers in honey or raspberry, sweet Thai chili for sweet and sour lovers, and TNT spicy buffalo for those who love pain are just a few of the options. If sauce coated wings and tenders aren’t preferable then try opting for seasonings or dipping sauces instead.

Taps N Tenders offer deals throughout the week. On Tuesdays, tenders are only 75 cents each, boneless Wednesday specials are 50 cents each and smoked wing Fridays are $1.00 each.

The combos come with a choice of traditional fries or waffle fries and a drink. Starting at $8.99 the combo prices can go up to $10.49, but they are all discounted $1.50 Monday through Friday from 11am to 2pm.

If mac and cheese sound good, consider getting a side of shells that come in a creamy warm sauce served in a perfect size for $4.99. Other starters range in price from $4.99 to $7.99 depending on size. Waffle fries are a must try, and a small order costs $2.19. If fully loaded or Chicago style fries sound good, it will set a person back $8.99.

Burgers are hormone and antibiotic free with many customization options for any palate. The burger patties are small, but Taps N Tenders offers many vegetables to pile on top such as romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles, mushrooms, olives, green peppers, jalapenos, banana peppers, giardiniera and crispy jalapenos. Burgers on the menu are about $7.00 to $8.00, but customizing a unique burger for one patty will be $4.99 and two patties will be $7.49. Veggie burgers are also available.

Grilled cheese connoisseurs should gather around as at Taps N Tenders offers up to three different kinds of cheeses. Options include American, white cheddar, muenster, provolone, smoked gouda, mozzarella, or ghost pepper. Grilled cheese sandwiches can range from $5.00 to $8.00. They also have three options for wraps with customization options and kids meals are all under $6.00.

During multiple visits the waiters and waitresses had excellent attitudes. They never seemed bored and always checked up to make sure everyone’s meal was cooked to perfection. With friendly faces and thorough knowledge, they answered any questions about the menu. For refills, the waiters are speedy and even provided a new cup before the previous was finished. On a recent visit when the waiter spilled water on a customer, they were apologetic and brought everything to clean up the mess in a quick manner.

For students it’s affordable and not too far of a drive. If a new hangout spot is needed, Taps N Tenders at 3320 Illinois Rte. 59 in Naperville is the spot.