North goes digital

From+left%3A+freshman+Justin+Williams+and+Sean+Elster+work+together+on+laptops+during+their+math+class.+

From left: freshman Justin Williams and Sean Elster work together on laptops during their math class.

Lilianna Kallas, Editor-in-Chief

A new district digital initiative is making its way to North with many teachers adapting to the modern world of technology and having more computer time for work in class.

“The digital learning initiative will help create learning environments that meets students’ diverse learning styles,” Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and instruction Glenn Wood said.

Laura Weed is the new Director of the Digital Learning and Innovation for District 202.

Weed will oversee running digital learning and will be helping the teachers with the new technology and showing them new programs.

“She will be helping the teachers better their knowledge and skills, and she will be providing instructional programs to help teachers learn,” North Associate Principal Stan Bertioni said.

Weed feels “We have the power to transform  learning to build skills, support student achievement, and accelerate learning.”

Both teachers and students are still adapting to the technology being amplified in the classroom.

“Overall, the concept of Digital Learning is exciting, and there is a desire for more within District 202,” Weed said. “We are committed to preparing our students for a 21st century world education and preparing them for future learning is part of that.”

Currently, math teacher Erin Smith and history teacher Daniel Foreman have computer use on a daily basis.

“Our goal is to provide students real life opportunities and skills that they potentially may need to use,” Foreman said.

As with any new technology, there is a potential for problems. For example, if the internet is down, Smith and Foreman  must be prepared.

“Technology is technology and just like anything in life there could be a bad day,” Smith said.

The district goal is not for technology to replace the current curriculum. Instead, the goal of digital learning is for technology to improve it.

“I do not believe that laptops take away from what is currently being taught but enhances the material by adding the digital component,” Smith said. “It can make  learning a better experience for the student.”

Students are able to get on Google Classroom and access their homework, assignments missed work due to an absence or anything else that their teacher would add,

“It puts everything in place and it’s easier to find homework than on the teacher pages,” senior Declan Smith said.

Foreman is optimistic that other teachers in the building are going to be a part of the program in the coming years.

“I think that other teachers will want to come aboard with the program next year, and I already see that a lot more teachers this year have been using Google Classroom compared to last year,” Foreman said.