Boys’ track sprints toward history

Preston Zbroszczyk, Sports Editor

Boys’ track and field season has started coming off their best track season in school history, looking to add on and top that performance will be of focus for the tigers.

“We had 15 all-conference athletes and won the strongest conference in the state,” head coach Anthony Holler said. “Success fuels motivation, not the other way around.”

The Tigers came off a strong season. Placing 3rd in state winning four events and setting two state records.

“We are taught well and when being taught by the best along with what we are able to do on the track it goes good for us,” senior Canyon Bownes said.

The Tigers where able to bring back two state championships to the school last season. The 4×200 and the 4×100 where the two events that performed to their best.

“It was an honor we work so hard every day in practice to be able to bring back to our school two state championships the school deserved it,” senior Anthony capezio said.

Out of the two state winning events nine out of the ten athletes returned this season as juniors and seniors giving hope once again for another state run.

“The better we get the more competition we want to challenge us as a team,” junior Marcellus Moore said.

The Tigers started the season this year with a well-rounded team, and that came to show in the season opening meet as several Tigers athletes took first on Feb. 23 at Illinois Wesleyan University.

“It felt good to get the first one out of the way,” senior Kevin “We came prepared for this tournament we will have to do the same for the rest of them.”

Norths’ distance team performed at the Normal invite take first place out of the thirty-one teams that attended. Senior Ryan Walczak and Jack Anderson Dominated the 4×8 with Walczak leading the team with a time of 2:02.3 followed by Anderson with a time of 2:05.2.

Quote from Walczak

The Tigers had multiple athletes who performed well and took first in their events. Burke ran the hurdles who was first overall on the team with an 8:42 prelim run. He also made history at the Charger invite at the University of Illinois on Mar. 3. He won the C, B, and A division his sophomore, junior, and senior year.

“I am glad that I was able to contribute to the team’s success this week,” Burke said.

Moore ran the 4×4 double at Normal and at the 4×200 at the Charger invite. Moore’s 200m split was to fast for anyone else and he was .2 of a second from breaking the school record as he got a time of 50.82 and the fell short of school record of 50.80.

Quote

With such a strong depth team the tigers have had some breakout athletes early in the season. Bownes debuted in three events the 200m split 60m and in the 4×200. This only allows the tigers to make their roster more flexible and diverse.

“I was excited to run my first meet of 2019,” Bownes said. “To be able to join in on the success of this team is truly an honor,”

The tigers will host their first and only indoor meet of the season on Saturday Mar. 9. The Tigers will be tested with large amounts of competition in certain invites as the season goes on. Tigers will participate in an all-day Lane tech invite along with a Whitney young invite.