The Prowler

Empowered women empower women

Back to Article
Back to Article

Empowered women empower women

Georgia Slowik, Staff Writer

Imagine a world where women encouraged each other and not tear each other down. The ‘beyouty’ project, a self-empowering project for girls, is designed to help high school females feel confident and empowered as well as comfortable in their own skin. North’s annual Beyouty project is expected to do just that.

The project, which was held on Monday March 11th, shook things up this year. Mentors are always looking for ways to improve the project, as it is planned and coordinated by the mentors themselves.

“Our new activities give the project a whole new style, and a lot of girls dig that,” senior mentor Sarah Lau said.

A new activity this year brought to the project a fresh outlook and gave a whole new meaning to empowering women. Women from various career fields such as firefighter, or teacher, spoke to the women about their jobs.

“We had five strong women in various work fields come in and talk to the women about what they do, why they do it and what they face in the work force as women,” said Lau.

As mentors of the project, the women want to enact change in the school. Mentors want to turn women’s negative views of themselves into positive views.

“Through the ‘beyouty’ project I learned confidence and self-worth, and I want other women to have the same impact,” senior mentor Payton Hammond said.

The mentors are hoping to inspire these women to be the best versions of themselves.
“I hope these girls will take away a part of them they never knew they had the ability to hold,” senior mentor Aloki Mehta said. “It’ll be a small, new piece of their personal puzzle that will resonate with their presence.”

The activities in the project are designed to bring women together, embrace who they are, and to spread a positive message about self-esteem and self-worth.

“My favorite thing about the project was our cross the line activity,” Lau said. “It brings up conversations that need to be had, and it allows girls to be vulnerable and respected.”

Mentors want the women to leave the project with a sense of purpose and to appreciate beauty in all its various forms.

“I hope girls will understand how important it is to have self-love and know their worth,” junior mentor Ashley Powell said.