North focuses on finding cancer cure

Cody Marshall, Staff Writer

Once again, North showed it’s school spirit and generosity for St Baldrick’s spirit week.

St. Baldrick’s spirit week took place from March 11th to March 15. There there different themes for every day. Monday was pajama day, Tuesday was tie dye day, Wednesday was Hawaiian day, Thursday was class colors day and Friday was green day. Principal Ross Draper said,

“ The best part of the week is the school coming together for a great cause. The main focus of this week is fundraising and donations.”

During the week there was a drumline for the shavees and Irish dancers. There were restaurant events at CiCi’s, McDonald’s and Chipotle. Also students of School of Rock performed at lunch during the head shaving.

Though North did not host an assembly, shavees were still able to raise money for the charity and students who raised $50 or more received a St Baldrick’s t-shirt. Students had their heads shaved during lunch periods. Many  people signed up to shave their head. Ross Draper said,

“ I won’t be shaving my head this year, but if I have to shave my head to motivate and inspire kids to donate and raise awareness I will.”

St. Baldrick’s has raised more than $258 million since 2005 for research grants and to help pay for treatment for children affected by cancer. They have done everything as an independent charity and look to keep raising money until they can find a cure.

The overall goal was to raise $10,000. Last year the school raised $9,400, beating the goal of $8,000. Students could donate through the bake sale, buying t-shirts, helping in the coin wars and donating money to their friends or family who had their head shaved. T-shirts were available online, $11 for a short sleeve and $15 for a long sleeve.

According to the St. Baldrick’s website 1 in 285 children will be diagnosed with cancer before the age of 20. The money raised by St. Baldrick’s goes straight to the funding of research for a cure or treatment for those who are diagnosed.

“ I think it’s important for people to be aware of the issue of cancer and how it affects those in our community,” English teacher Yonika Willis said. “I also think it’s important for students to see their peers stand up for a great cause.”

St. Baldrick’s has had many partnerships with many companies looking to donate and help battle cancer. Recently St. Baldrick’s partnered up with the American Cancer Society and Sports Clips has donated $1 million over the last three years.

As in previous years North has honored families who have family or friends battling cancer. This year Anna was honored after her cancer returned and is in need of a bone marrow transplant.

“We know Anna through mutual friends of the school and unfortunately her Leukemia has returned and she is in need of a bone marrow transplant,” Ross Draper said. “ She has a great personality.”

According to the St. Baldrick’s website this charity began in 1999 as part of a challenge by Timmy Kenny to his coworkers, Enda Mcdowell and John Bender to give back to their community. Enda’s thick head of hair gave them an idea to shave heads for charity. Since then St. Baldrick’s has raised over 258 million dollars for research grants.

“Childhood cancer isn’t a national problem, It’s a global problem. And if we want to cure it, we need to think globally,” Dr. Robert J Arceci said.