At Issue: Should class grades be abolished?

Caroline Baumker, Editor-in-Chief

Regardless of whether someone thinks that grades are pointless or essential, the reality is that they are necessary for college admittance. One of the first questions asked on a post-secondary application is “What is your GPA?”

Without grades, applicants would not be able to answer this basic question.  If this portion is left blank, the prospective school may also ask for transcripts as proof.

Grades have nothing to do with the student as a person or even his or her intelligence. They do, however, have to do with how well the student does in a particular class.

There are plenty of smart individuals who don’t try in school. That tells colleges a lot about their character.

It is no secret that there are flaws in the grading system, but at the same time a student feels good when an assignment is done well. Good grades can boost a person’s confidence.

Additionally, having good grades can help students earn scholarships. The better the grades are, the more money the students could end up receiving to pay off part of their tuition.

Students with good grades also have the chance to become a member of the National Honor Society. This organization provides the opportunity to get help with financial aid planning and college admissions, with virtual events, webinars and by using the society’s custom scholarship search tool.

Other options that members have are leadership development programs and service projects. The society also has $13 million of its own scholarships available for students who best reflect the society’s values.

Employers care about grades too. They may not ask for a person’s GPA during an interview, but typically it is written on an applicant’s résumé.

A GPA could tip off an employer to the person’s capability of doing a solid job. If a student applies for a job with strong grades, it indicates to the employer that the person has a strong work ethic in school with little codling needed and should have no problem transferring this diligence to the workplace.

When it comes down to it, grades can make or break where a person goes in life.