African American administrator Weathersby displays successful life in spite of background

For centuries, African Americans have been criticized by society. North assistant principal Darnell Weathersby, however, plans to show students of any race that they can break stereotypes and bring their aspirations to fruition.

“Students could care less how much you know, until they know how much you care,” Weathersby said.

Born on the westside of Chicago, Weathersby is the second oldest of eight children. Weathersby took inspiration from his low-income surroundings in order to work harder for his goals. With perseverance in classes and working as a theater coach in his local park district, Weathersby secured a successful future for himself.

“People see where I grew up and say ‘Wow, we don’t expect much from him,'” Weathersby said. “I was the first [in his family] to graduate college with a master’s degree. I was active in church and used my environment as motivation and not an excuse.”

Weathersby has been involved in education for over 15 years, starting with three years in a Chicago middle school. For seven years, he taught as an algebra teacher at John Harris until he became the assistant principal at SciTech High School in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

“My student body was 95 percent African American and was a high performing magnet school with Valedictorians going to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT),” Weathersby said.

Finally becoming assistant principal of North, Weathersby is proud to have the authority he now holds. Known for his speeches in his past schools, Weathersby likes to teach his students as often as possible on the value of morality and equality between all races and genders.

“I take much pride in being African American. Regardless of your assumptions, it’s all about the content of your character. Here’s what a qualified African American can do and look like,” Weathersby said.

Weathersby even likes to use his family as an example of a successful African American family in a village of people who are 94.5 percent races other than black, according to the 2015 Statistical Atlas.

“I’ve had thirteen years of marriage and my two kids, Sydney and Winston. We’re home owners just like everybody else and a middle-class functioning family. We’ve made great relationships in Plainfield,” Weathersby said.

Though Weathersby has done his best to fight stereotypes and prejudice, he has also experienced his share of racism. Growing up, he has faced situations involving false accusations with police in Chicago.

“Unfortunately, we live in a world where some see black men as a threat,” Weathersby said. “I’ve had problems with police misidentifying me for a crime. Some of the harshest experiences is being deemed guilty of something and having to prove your innocence just because you ‘fit a description.'”

Despite being judged for his skin, Weathersby has done his best to keep his students safe from prejudice, starting with him being the first African American administrator in North history.

“The cake is that I’m qualified. The icing is I’m 6’ 2″ and black,” Weathersby said.