Art Exhibit Winners  

Caroline Baumker, News Editor

On Jan. 10, 38 District 202 students earned honors at the second annual Lewis University art show. Nine of these students were from Plainfield North.

According to Natalie Swain, one of the employees at Lewis, “[t]his show was the 2nd Annual High School Invitational”.

These students’ artwork was on display at Lewis University in an exhibit located at the Oremus Fine Arts Center.

“The work was displayed for the first week of the new semester at Lewis, from January 11-18,” Art Gallery Coordinator Natalie Swain said.

In the Lewis art show last year, around 20 pieces were submitted per the four schools, which lead them to obtaining about 80 pieces of art work. Since adding Romeoville High School into the event, the show only accepts 10 pieces from each school this year.

“Quimby looked through [the artwork]… They were the best in the class at the time,” North honorable mention, freshman Gabriella Bonasera said.

Bonasera, entered an untitled charcoal portrait she made. Another one of the winners was senior Jack Swain, another honorable mention, and he submitted a resin and wood sculpted dish in the show

“I thought it was strange [when I won] because I rushed the drawing… Judges don’t usually look at…freshman work,” Bonasera said.

Among the before mentioned was junior Allison Fijalkowski,  senior Dana Gere, senior Lewis Choi, junior Merva Rexhepi, junior Erica Long, senior Cassidy D’iorio and junior Emily Gordon also were chosen to display their works.

“It feels… like an honor to be nominated by your teacher… [The competition] is a very good growing experience,” Long said.

Recently North students also participated in the open house for the Joliet Junior College High School art department on Nov.30. The artwork from North students entered there was displayed in the schools’ Laura Sprague gallery from Nov. 6 through Dec. 8.

“The only difference besides location between the Lewis University and the Joliet Junior College is the size of the show …The Joliet Junior College show is much larger with all of the ‘feeder’ high schools from Will County contributing,” art teacher Peter Quimby said.

Art teachers at the different schools could only submit 10 student art pieces to the exhibit at The Brent and Jean Wadsworth Family Gallery of Lewis University. The winners were picked by art professor and Art and Design Chairperson, Mark Swain.