Softball team prepares for season

Looks to make deep postseason run

Joe Wachs, Staff Writer

North’s Varsity softball team ended last year’s season on a good note finishing with 17 wins and 14 losses.

“We will need to work very hard this year because I believe we can do big things” said Junior Abbey Kruzzel. “We have a lot of upcoming talent with the lower class and have a good amount of players still from last season,”

Head Coach Allison Wodziak will prepare her team mentally just as much physically this season. The Tigers lost a lot of size and skill from last season, so coaching and practice will have a big impact.

With each new year, the expectation is that the team exceeds previous accomplishments” said Coach Wodziak. “There is always room for improvement.  With hard work and a desire to want to succeed, this team could have the potential to rise to the occasion and accomplish things that they have not done in the past. With that said this group will have to commit themselves to each other, new players and old players,”

“They have to commit to selflessly play for one another and always put the group ahead of themselves. If they can create such a bond, I have no doubt this team will be successful in anything they hope to achieve this season,” said Wodziak

The Tigers lost four starting seniors from last season, pitcher Sydney Schmittel, outfielder Kellie Fenza, third baseman Morgan Krieger, and pitcher Jacadi Rivera.

These players are all playing Division II and higher softball in college now. Schmittel plays for Cardinal Stritch, Fenza is playing at UW Parkside, Krieger for St. Ambrose University, and Rivera is playing for Dominican University in Chicago.

“I think this season will be one of our best yet,” said Junior Carolyn Hett. “I think with the new skill coming in and the bonding of the girls we are mentally prepared for the season and ready to work,”

Norths current team has 7 senior along with a few juniors and sophomores. Seniors Autumn Woods and Kylie Austin have signed this spring to continue their play at the collegiate level.

This year’s team will be filled with many juniors and just a few seniors, opposed to last year’s team being split with juniors and seniors. 

“There are a few ladies that are working to step into a leadership position, said Wodziak.  “This team lost some matured leadership last year and will certainly have to find a new groove for this year for a new team.  I do believe that there are some girls that are capable of leading either by example or as a voice; I am not sure that some of these leaders realize their true potential yet.  I think we are still at a point where this role is emerging; I am looking forward to when the season begins and captains are chosen,” said Wodziak

The Tigers are also motivated to improve their conference record from last year coming out of a slump with a few wins.

“Our conference record from last season was 6-8 which we improved on but still  not good enough, said Autumn Woods. “We feel a lot of pressure during conference games because we want the best record and to become conference champs,”