St. Baldrick’s raises money, supports finding cure for childhood cancer

Sean Kuriger, Sports Editor

On February 12, Plainfield North will hold its annual St. Baldrick’s basketball game event in the main gym.

During the event, students of all grade levels come together and raise money for childhood cancer. This year’s basketball game is against Plainfield Central, and will feature the Girls’ Basketball Team as well as the Boys’ Team for the first time in school history.

“At the game, students who signed up to shave their heads and raised money will have the chance to get their heads shaved during halftime of the game and after the game,” said Event coordinator Julie Adelmann.

With St. Baldrick’s being such an event in the late winter, students prepare themselves by raising money going around school asking for money, creating GoFundMe accounts, or going door to door and asking people to donate so the students can raise enough to shave their heads.

“St. Baldrick’s means a lot to me since I have had people close to me lose the fight to cancer,” said senior three-time shavee Jason Janak. “And showing those who can’t fight that they aren’t alone.”

North is raising money as a whole by selling TCBY during lunch periods and baked goods every morning before school and during lunch. They also are having coin wars between every first period class, and letting students wear hats if they donate one dollar on Fridays. Within the last year, students have been able to get their teachers to shave their heads once agreed upon an amount that the student must fundraise.

“Last year I chose Mr. Kane to get his head shaved in terms of me fundraising $1000 and I did easily,” said Senior Justin Callahan. “This year I hope to get Mr. Barber to shave his head because there would be a lot of excitement flow throughout the students here at Plainfield North.”

Event Coordinators Julie Adelmann and Meghan Gleason wanted to make St. Baldrick’s different this year. In the past, the school has held some sort of an assembly to honor the ambassador and pump the student body up for the game later that night.

“This year we’re having our assembly on February 5, because it’ll get people pumped up for the Winter Fest and St. Baldrick’s the following week,” said Adelmann. “This year we have bigger goals in terms of the amount of money we raise as a whole school.”