North to host ninth annual Talent Show

Joe Wachs, Staff Writer

“When I left prison, the anger left… I was probably the happiest i have ever been.” That line seems like it would be a perfect bookend to a story full of heartbreak and torture. But that is not the case for Wisconsin resident, Steven Avery.

Avery has been a controversial figure in the american public since his story hit the mainstream. For the people who don’t know, Avery, back in 2003, was released after spending 18 years in prison for sexually assault, which because of DNA edvience. After his release, Avery decided to sue the Manitowoc County Police department. A few months after his lawsuit, a young Wisconsin named Tressa Halbach went missing on Avery’s property. Avery was later accused and tried for the crime and later was proven to be guilty.

During the trail, many people following the case thought that Avery was wrongly accused and now is spending his entire life in prison because of something he had nothing to do with. This thought is so prevalent in the world that a Documentary series was made on Netflix following the event called Making A Murder. The 10 episode mini series follows the Avery family for the 10 years that Steven was going through his murder trial. The series strongly suggests that the Manitowoc County Police department and the state framed Steven Avery.

The show has quickly become one of the most talked about shows in the early part of 2016. Ever since the show came out, viewers have called for Avery’s release. With Websites have popped up all over the internet to get Avery out of prison. Including StevenAvery.org which in the websites misson statement says “We are trying to find a key to get Steven a new trial.”

Not everyone is completely on convinced that Avery is innocent. Some even claim that the series left out some key details out of the trail. One of the biggest opponents of the series has been the state prosecutor who sent Avery to jail, Ken Kratz.

Kratz was not portrayed in the best light in the series. In fact, the filmmakers made it seem that he was the biggest scumbag in the planet.

“The entire series presents a lot of misinformation,” said Kratz to the New York Times. “The filmmakers had an agenda, now the entire world is in outrage and that is exually what they wanted.”

Kratz also claimed that they intentionally left out information to make Avery look innocent and making people more sympathetic towards him. Avery’s ex-fiancee Jodi Stachowski, who was featured heavily in the series, also came out on Nancy Grace and said that Steven was not as good of a person has the series made him out to be, even going as far as calling him a monster.

“I ate two boxes of rat poison just so I could go to the hospital and get away from him and asked them to get the police to help me,” Stachowski said to Rolling Stone, “He is not innocent.”

Stachowski also claimed that Avery offered her money to make him look good while the series was being filmed. She also claimed that Avery sexually and physically assaulted her and even tied her to a bed.

Making a Murder and Steven Avery have truly entered the popular lexicon again for the first time since his trial. And even though it is highly controversial it still generates a debate and discussion. And that debate can truly bring the truth behind this case to light.

North will host their ninth annual school talent Saturday February 13 at 6:00 p.m. in the auditorium.

Auditions for the show were held last week in advance for the competitors to prepare and be ready to perform.

Talent Shows at North can vary from stand-up comedy, acoustic guitar playing all the way to a rap performance. This year’s talent show has many returning performers which have made a great show for the Tigers in the previous years.

“I’ve been dancing for a while now and it’s just a think I love, I’m excited to perform because this doesn’t come often,” said Steven Beagle

Senior Simien Robinson, Junior Steven Beagle, Junior Josh Smith, and Senior Katie Krawise are all going to be involved with singing, rapping and dancing in Saturday’s show.

These performances all have a spontaneous outlook especially toward their skill. North will be having their first ever father Daughter performance here at North. Katie Krawise will be singing while her father is playing piano.

“I think it’s awesome that my dad and I get the chance to do this because this is extra extraordinary and I think a lot of people will enjoy it,” said Krawise

Robinson also known as “Top Chef Entertainment” is also performing a week before the talent show at North’s Winterfest Dance.

“I feel lucky that I have this opportunity to show off my skills because not all of people get the chance to get this publicity and there name out there,” said Robinson

The judges for this year’s talent show are teachers Brad Klett, Lindsey Durkin, Rachel Hidalgo and Ginger Breast. All of the performances are judged on appropriateness and preparation that the students show.

If the students have a good talent to present then they will all get the chance to perform at the talent show. As of right now there are 15 performers auditioning, if all goes well 15 will be able to perform at the Talent Show this year.