Film remakes underwhelm moviegoers

Mikayla Clark, Staff Writer

Movies all across the globe are being remade into modern versions of themselves at an increasing pace. Classics like Jem and the Holograms, the Disney princess movies, the recent Mad Max movie, and even Annie have been remade or have a remake in their future.

Are movie company’s losing their sense of originality, and replacing what could be fresh movies to the public eye, with remakes of classic films?

“In case you hadn’t noticed, Hollywood execs adore repetition. If it was financially viable enough, they would happily release 400 films a year starring Clint Eastwood as a grizzled ex-cop and Katherine Heigl as his kooky single daughter,” said Shortlist.com

More movies like Honey I Shrunk the Kids and The NeverEnding Story are also planned to be remade. Shortlist.com certainly has a lot to say on the subject as well.

“The 80s kids film about the worst parent ever is apparently getting an unnecessary update. Sadly, Rick Moranis won’t be hanging around for a cameo as he’s retired. Well, we could see how 3D might work but still, a truly pointless idea,” Shortlist.com said.

According to IGN.com, remakes around 2010 and 2011, actually had box office numbers that were “underwhelming,” and were not able to replenish the budget spent on the film.

“Even if you’re talented, that doesn’t mean your reboot will work. If you’re remaking a pretty good film — or relaunching a popular movie franchise — then you need to give some people a reason to see it, especially if the original is only a decade old. The Amazing Spider-Man had this problem. While the movie was fine, director Marc Webb never added anything of note to Spidey’s origin story, and the result was a movie that wasn’t worse than Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man, not better, just… slightly different,” said Bob Bricken from io9.com.

Not every reboot is going to be great, however. There comes a point where a movie can’t be exactly the same as the old.

“More and more film remakes are being announced every day, leading many to wonder whether Hollywood has become creatively bankrupt,” said Stephen Lambrechts of IGN.com.

While many movies could have the potential for a remake, some individuals believe that movies should be able to be enjoyed as they are.

“I feel as if movie remakes defeat the purpose of an original, that should stay timeless and be enjoyed by multiple generations,” said Sophomore Lauren Buck.