New generation becomes increasingly over-sensitive

“I’m offended that you’re offended”

Ryan Newell, Staff Writer

The minds of Americans are becoming increasingly sensitive. All across the country, people are having to be more and more politically correct to the point of ridiculousness.

In this day and age, it’s common for people to feel strongly on a topic. Maybe it’s women’s rights, gun control, or another “sensitive” issue. Because of this, policies are changing and the government is taking notice. These people are correcting problems in the American system, but then there’s ideologues who take it too far.

An ideologue is someone who supports an ideal, and is uncompromising and dogmatic. They take ideologies to heart and make it personal.

Students in law school are critical of professors who teach about rape laws and cases, their reasoning being that it may offend another student if they have been a victim of rape. A professor at UCLA went as far as changing an exam to avoid making students uncomfortable.

These students might not even be a victim of nonconsensual sex, but they feel that it could offend someone and because of this professors at law school are avoiding the topic of rape. This leaves entire classes unprepared for the real-world, where a case may have an “uncomfortable” topic that they have to deal with.

Even Disney is having problems with sensitivity. After airing an episode of “Jessie”, in which they poke fun at Gluten-free diets, a woman, Amy Raselvich, started an online petition asking Disney to pull the episode from the air.

Part of the problem might be that Americans now are more sensitive than older generations. Nowadays, every kid in Little League gets a trophy just for showing up. Instead of rewarding individuals who pushed themselves, we reward for doing nothing. Kids grow up thinking they can get by with doing little to nothing.

In an article on The Atlantic, “The Coddling of the American Mind”, the author points out that before kidnappings and school shootings became a commonplace on the news, children had much more freedom to go out and do what they please. But with a rise in crime and incidences similar to Columbine, parents are taking safety much more seriously and not giving their kids the same independence that they had growing up.

By always being there for their kids, parents are telling their kids that the world is a dangerous place but that they’ll always be there to protect them. In a perfect world this might work, but at some point they’ll get called a name, or face an issue they don’t agree with. They can’t go call mommy and have it fixed. Kids instead should be taught how to deal with sensitive topics and how to cope with hurtful experiences, so that they can move on with life.

A New York parent, Lawrence Graham, tried to protect his children from discrimination. Graham is an African American attorney in New York, who used his elite economic status to try and save his children from being discriminated across and having to worry about their race. But while Graham was away on a trip, his son was unexpectedly called the N-word by some kids driving by, and it rocked his world. The 15 year old boy was shaken to core. He now refuses to walk alone at night, or to make eye contact with nearby pedestrians or drivers. He couldn’t understand why someone would say such a hurtful thing without any provocation.

Parents should be teaching their kids to cope and deal with insensitivity, so that they can continue with their lives instead of dwelling on words of another.