Band finishes competitive season

Heading to Disney World over Thanksgiving Break

Zack Trapp, News Editor

The Marching Band wrapped up their competitive season this past weekend and is set to travel to Orlando over Thanksgiving break.

The band participated in the Bands of America Super Regional in Indianapolis on October 23. They placed 36th out of 64 competing bands, placing 13th in their class.

“I think being a young group we had a lot of growth this year,” said Band Director Tim Hatcher, “So we look at some points and program design, was it too hard, those kind of things, and build for next year.”

The group experienced more than their fair share of struggles this competitive season, missing state finals for the first time in six years. Prior to that, they were the only ensemble in state history to ever make finals every time that they attended the state competition.

Since Hatcher took over last school year, the band has experienced some growing pains as they transitioned. After placing 3rd in state two years ago, they fell to 11th place last year before missing finals altogether this year. Their placement at this year’s Bands of America competition was the lowest in all of the years that they have attended the competition.

Hatcher firmly believes that students should take stock in their own performance rather than competitive placement in something as subjective as marching band.

“The difference between any athletic event or something else is that you’re in control of the other events. Well in band you’re completely responsible for how you do. So as long as you can do as best as you can because you’re only competing against yourself. In cross country you have to pace yourself right and in band you have to hit your right notes,” said Hatcher.

In his second year at the helm of the ensemble, Hatcher made his mark on how the band was run. He placed greater individual responsibility on the student leadership of the organization and balanced musical part division between the differently skilled players of the ensemble.

Despite their struggles, much of the band maintains a positive outlook on what they accomplished this season. Their show, “Ascend”, featured more elaborate music, choreography, and props than in past years.

“Obviously some trial and error, some things went really well, some things didn’t go better. I think students should take more ownership because it is very student driven, its very student motivated,” said Hatcher, “It’s a very young group so to have those role models as leaders is very important.”

With the conclusion of their competitive season, the group is now set to travel to Disney World in Orlando to participate in the Thanksgiving Parade of Bands. The group is set to depart on November 23 and return on November 29.

Students will be able to have the full Disney experience during their stay. They will visit Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, and Epcot over the course of their visit. In addition, they will also visit Universal Studios during the trip.

The group will be doing far more than just enjoying a relaxing trip to the city. They have a full slate of rehearsals leading up to their performance at the Thanksgiving Parade of Bands.

The band has been taking biannual trips for many years now. Two years ago, the group traveled to New York to experience the city and attend clinics with Broadway Musical Directors. Before that, they traveled to Disney just as they will this year.

“I think it’s going to be a great experience to be at Disney, especially for our group on Thanksgiving. As for our school it’s nice to be doing things like this,” said Hatcher, “Its good exposure for our community, it’s a fun experience for all of our band members, and how do you not go to Disney? It’s gonna be fun.”