Predators start hockey season

PHS with 1-4 record

Predators start hockey season

Erik Brniak, Staff Writer

Hockey season is coming in with a chill the PHS Predators hockey team are ready to improve their record. The Dupage Stars and Nequa Valley are their rivals and top competition. They play their home games at Canlan Ice Arena in Romeoville.

“We really are excited for the season. I’m not saying this like every other hockey player says, but I really think we can go far this year, and I mean farther than we ever have gone. It’s amazing how excited the whole team is just to come to practice and play our games,” said junior Zack Slezak from Plainfield North High School

With the team record below .500, they are ready and prepared to bounce back from a down year with a record of 3-30.

“We’re looking good as a team, developing our chemistry well just really need to get faster and fix our flaws,” said Senior and Captain Jake McDonald from Plainfield South High School.

HeadCoach Bob Kimball has been involved in hockey for over 45 years. In his younger years, he played in the USHL (United States Hockey League) AAA hockey level and played for team USA for a few years but never followed his dream of going pro.

“I believe our record will improve greatly. Throughout the spring season and coming into the fall, we’ve created a lot more team skill along with chemistry. We’ve been working hard at practices to fix our flaws. The boys, as well as the coaches, have been on each other’s backs to make each other better,” said Junior Joe Wachs.

Over the summer PHS Hockey participated in a four on four hockey league at All Seasons Ice Arena. They competed against teams throughout the Chicagoland area and ended the season over .500 along with winning the four on four Championship.

“Team is looking good, but definitely a lot of room to improve, we’ve been skating hard at practice and working even harder at off ice training also,” said Senior Jake Alvarez.

PHS has a strong starting line with Seniors Alec Campbell, Tyler Burns, and Jacob Conrad. Campbell is the center, Burns is a wing as well as Conrad. The starting line are all returning seniors and are ready to get back on the ice.

“In one word, unreal. Everyone is stronger, faster and smarter and it is fun to see how creative the team gets with how we move the puck. The talent is incredible and honestly cannot wait to see how well we do,” said Slezak.

PHS faced the Lincoln Way hockey team on Saturday October 17. The Predators won their first game with a score of 5-2. So far this season PHS is 1-4. Three of the four teams they lost to are the top teams of their conference.