Childrens’ TV teaches life lessons

Hannah Aldawud, Staff Writer

Adults always tell their children that too much television or movies will rot their brain. The reality could be the complete opposite, many family friendly television shows and movies teach children valuable lessons about tolerances, culture, and other important life lessons.

“Certain movies and shows can express different kind of helpful messages that influence children in a positive way” said Sophomore Sarina Hawkins

Many children shows like Arthur, Sesame Street, Ni Hao Kai Lan not only teach children educational skills they always teach them about the importance of different cultures & not to judge people who are different but to celebrate them.    

“I always appreciated movies and the messages they made obvious in them, as corny as it sounds even as a kid watching movies like Shrek and Happy Feet made me understand that being different is something to be proud of & embrace rather than being embarrassed by it” said Junior Grace Quezada

75% of students surveyed said that children should watch television for education reasons, while 25% said they should not.

“Movies are really inspirational and television shows help kids learn about cultures in a way they can understand & enjoy” said Junior Zoe Slezak

52% of students surveyed said that television and movies can teach children tolerance, while 48% said that it does not.     

“I feel like movies and TV shows can have an impact on a child and influence them to make some decisions but I feel it’s mainly what they grow up surrounded by, if their family” said Junior Madison Klein.

Not only do children movies teach the good of life some parents may have come to the realization that their kids are learning the ways of the world through the cinema, due to having to explain tough subjects that may appear in  movie. Things like death from The Lion King, poverty, sexism like in Mulan, racism, or any type of discrimination.

“That’s what these movies do. They make difficult situations a little less scary, gradually introducing kids to ideas that might otherwise overwhelm them” said Meredith Peters Hale, author of Mommy A to Z, to the Huffington Post.