The newspaper should not divide the school

Sarah Hass, Senior

Let me begin here: If the goal of this column was to start controversy, you’ve certainly succeeded. However, I think you’ve failed on a bigger level.

While I don’t believe this is “one of the most heated arguments between high school students,” there is a real divide between those who spend most of their time in the music hallway, and those who spend most of their time in the athletic hallway. I think through the publishing of this article, you’ve done nothing but polarize the divide more.

The initial opinion stated in the article isn’t the issue. It was the way it was approached and the lack of organization.

Before I delve into my argument, I want to state my authority on the subject. Although I have never been in marching band, a majority of my close friends are currently in marching band. I am a big supporter, and have attended many band competitions. I am a member of Concert Choir, and have been in extracurricular choirs all four years of high school. In my freshman year, I also was on the Plainfield Swim Team.

According to the Merriam-Webster definition of ‘sport’ that you included in your article, marching band would be considered a sport. Despite this, it certainly doesn’t fall into the realm of highly celebrated sports or traditional sports. More than a sport, marching band is a performing art.

But this title doesn’t take away from the “physical and mental prowess” that participating in it takes. In fact, it may add to the levels of prowess that are both exerted mentally and psychically. In this season alone, the members of the marching band have put more than 200 hours outside of class time to create.

It’s not an easy task to memorize nine minutes of music, drill, and choreography, and then combine this with almost 180 other kids. This takes months to get right. I do want to applaud you for your praise of band. It seems you’ve looked into the experiences of a PNHS band kid, and complimented their efforts.

I also want to touch on the statement where you question who band is competing against when they perform at half-time. The answer is no one, same as both the Poms and Cheer teams. With this logic, should these teams also not be considered sports?

While the band plays at half-time, the goal of the band isn’t to play those shows, it’s to compete in the all-day competitions that take place on the Saturdays.

If anyone has not seen the Marching Tigers’ show this year, look it up on YouTube. I also want to extend the invitation to any and every one to attend a band competition in person. It’s an awesome experience!

I thank you for your time and willingness to listen. I hope that Hosler’s Howl, and other opinion articles can take into account their peers as well, to unify the Plainfield North community, not divide it.