Students participate in Day of Silence for GSA

Ryan Newell, Graphics

Students will partake in the National Day of Silence, vowing to not speak to address the problem of LGBT harassment on April 15.

In 1996, students at the University of Virginia organized the first Day of Silence. The Day of Silence is a national student-led event, in which schools all around the country take part in.

Partaking in the Day of Silence is a way of standing up against homophobic behavior.  Although the majority of the Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) members participate in the event, it is not organized by them.  Many students participate in the Day of Silence every year.

“Some are members of GSA, and some are students I’ve never seen before,” said Kerrin Vance, GSA sponsor.

Vance provides cards outside of her room on the Day of Silence that students can carry around. These cards explain what the Day of Silence is and why the student is participating.  Students are expected to not use the vow as an excuse and to not let it interrupt their classes.

“I have to stress that the Day of Silence is a personal activity that should not interfere with the school day,” said Vance. “Students and staff know this information ahead of time, and there is no reason the Day of Silence should affect classes.”

Students observe being silent during passing periods, lunch, etc., and not while they are in class, especially if they have a presentation or group activity that requires speech.

The Day of Silence is often mistaken as a protest for gay rights, but that isn’t the case.  The statement that students are trying to make by remaining silent is to not harass, bully, or be disrespectful towards the LGBT community.

School is meant to be a safe place for all students, no matter their sexual preference. The Day of Silence aims to address the bullying that takes place at school against LGBT students.

Students who are interested in participating in the Day of Silence can see Vance in room 204 before April 15 for details and a card.