Girls’ Track starts season strong

Carly Kramer, Staff Writer

The Plainfield North girls’ varsity track and field team is setting their goals high for the upcoming 2016 season.

Led by senior captains Hannah Stillman, Carley Pearson, Ollie Fegter and Juniors Marissa Manprasert and Sofi Chartrand, the team has high hopes for the meets to come.

“The 4×8 relay hopes to better their school record and qualify for Prep Top Times. They also want to send more girls to the indoor state meet as well as improve their conference finish,” said Head Coach Tammy Gummerson.

The team ran 9:39.50 at the Mustang Relays on Monday, March 7 which ranks them eighth for Illinois Prep Top Times. That time is three seconds off of the state qualifying time for the 2016 outdoor season. The team consisted of senior Rachael Lau, freshman Juliana Stogsdill, sophomore Megan Patton, and senior Valerie Som. The 4×200 team is ranked top 20 in the state with a 1:50.31, also at the mustang relays.

The team has many returning athletes to help push their conference finish to the top such as Seniors Anna Laudizio and Rachael Lau. The ladies placed 5 overall at the SPC conference meet.

“As a team I hope to get first at conference and I think we can. We have a lot of amazing athletes in each event so we’re definitely capable of it. If we don’t get first, I think top three would be sweet to go out with as a senior,” said Pearson.

As far as individual returners go, there is a lot of talent in the senior class hoping to finish their high school careers strong.

Rachel Lau finished third at the state meet last season in the 3200 and is looking to improve that finish in her final season. She also finished with All-State honors in Cross Country her sophomore year along with her Senior campaign in which she placed 14 in the state.

Anna Laudizio placed 10 at State last year, one place off of All-State honors, in the triple jump with a distance of 37’5” and is hoping to place top three in both long and triple jump at State.

Both Laudizio and Elizabeth Auriemma have jumped the outdoor state qualifying lengths this season with a 17’11” and 17’5” respectively. Laudizio is also ranked top 5 in the state in the triple jump with her jump of 37’ 1”.

Carley Pearson looks to make state in the high jump and place after finishing second at conference last year.

“My goal height for this season is 5’7” and I want to improve my speed and form towards the bar,” said Pearson.