Boys’ Track starts with record breaking pace through two meets

Erik Brniak, Staff Writer

With the track season quickly approaching, coaches and the team are ready to build on past success. They placed third in conference last year and want to send more athletes to state this season.  With high hopes for the spring.

“The 2016 PN track team could be a top-20 team in the state.  We have the best sophomore and junior classes in school history, so the future looks bright,” said Coach Anthony Holler.

The PNHS distance crew is looking better than ever, with multiple returning seniors and up and coming underclassman that are looking to make a statement this season.

“I expect that we will be much improved from last year.  Last year we were coming off of a cross country season in which we placed 10th at our Sectional, not even close to qualifying for state this season, we are coming off of a 2nd place finish at Sectionals for XC, and placed 18th at the state meet,” said Coach Andrew Derks.

Juniors are playing a big part for the boy’s track team in sprints, distance and multiple field events. Starring athlete’s Ari Ekowa, Carlos Bagget and Tyler Hoosman.

“I cannot wait for this season, the team and I have improved greatly and are ready to take on any challenge that is in front of us,” said Junior Carlos Bagget.

The throwers are putting in extra work this season and trying to make an impact this year with little experience but lots of talent.

“We are looking great, coach is preparing us and all of us are outing the work in so we can succeed,” said Junior Ari Ekowa.

Being on the track team is not just being on a team, it is being a part of the track family. The coaches push us to become friend’s not just teammates.

“I have gotten some of my closest friends from being on the track team, we are all a family out here,” said Junior Tyler Hoosman.

So far, Hoosman joins fellow jumpers this year and is entering this season with a returning PR of 19-10 in the long jump.

Thomas Harris, Plainfield North alumni was a sprinter for the boy’s track team here. He was an all-state sprinter and ran the 4×2. He has now worked his way up to becoming a division one sprinter for the University of Illinois in his freshman year.

North has two returning seniors that made all-state, Devaughn Hrobowski and Zach Shelton. Both are two time all-conference. Last year North won state in the 3A 4×2 with runners Harris (graduated), Shelton (senior), Roscetti (graduated), and Hrobowski (senior).  They finished with a time with 1:27.04, fastest in North History. The 4×800 team returns with a time 8:15.47 with three returning Seniors Juan Arellano, Matt Hosler, and Jack Sebok was the second fastest time in school history.

Through two meets, the team has already started out strong. Junior Jordan Gumila broke the indoor triple jump record on his first jump in his career. He broke the previous record with his new jump of 42-11. The 4×200 team also placed first at the meet after a strong leadoff leg by Carlos Bagget.

The team then ran a season best time of 1:32.27 and is currently ranked eighth in the state.

At the University of Illinois this past weekend, the team broke another record after the 4×400 relay team of Hunter Houslet, Baggett, Gumila, and Hosler broke the school record of 3:30 after running a school and meet record of 3:29.66 finishing first and edging crosstown rival Plainfield South. That time placed the 4×400 ninth in the state.

The team won their home invite this past Saturday on March 12 against 15 other teams including SPC rivals Plainfield East and Romeoville. The team scored in 15 out of the 17 events as the whole team contributed to the biggest victory ever in this meets history.